Wednesday, October 24, 2018

D T1D Unit

Closing thoughts from two Achilles International- Denver Chapter Athletes; Type One Diabetics: Kerry Kuck (Blind Runner 30+years) & Chewey Lam (Guide / Me)

Me: "Make no mistake we were far from perfection but were as close to perfection as a Unit could be!" I'm hoping that the 2018 Rock 'n' Roll Denver wasn't Kerry's last Half Marathon but if it was; I'm so glad & thrilled to have been able to be a part of it!"  

Kerry: "This is Crosby's 2nd Rock 'N' Roll half medal, his 9th race of this year guiding me, and about 30 successful races guiding me in his working career. We represent true hope for the totally blind, especially for those suffering from type 1 diabetes and its many complications, like I was 35 years ago. For me, this is not about diabetes, running, or running with a guide dog. (OK, maybe a little about running with a guide dog.) It is about giving real hope to those who are almost hopeless, like I was 30 and 35 years ago, or 4 guide dogs ago." --I didn't push Crosby today  (I hugged Kerry crossing the Finish Line Crosby in tow);.........

I won't exchange what we said for the next 30 seconds; but we agreed that this Half Marathon was finished, quick photo & time to check Blood Sugars!

The start of the race; Kerry & Crosby started with fellow Achilles Int'l- Denver Jason Romero for 1st mile as I was checking my bag into Medical Tent & giving myself Insulin. My BGs/Sugars were high near 200 & Double Arrows. Keep calm; Carry Dexcom; I've been in this situation before. No need to panic; only now I have Kerry & Crosby to attend to. Dexcom alerted me to a possible high of 250 in 20 mins so I corrected with a 4u humalog shot & it steadied me for the entire race. I caught up to Kerry & Crosby 1.1 miles & started my Guide Duties.

This is where I noticed Kerry was struggling to maintain a 12:00 pace. My 1st mile was 10:00; so we backed off & at this point stomach problems reared it head. His faced changed colors & I now noticed shallow breathing; more labored walking. At this point; lots of runners past; friend emerges (Kristine) & walks with us takes photos. We resume the racewalking pace. We'll be maximizing the race dollars value at this point. 2:45:00 Finish is out the window at this point as we approach 5k mark 43:00+. 

Mile 3-5 are a bit trickier to guide as we veer back into Downtown & lots more runners/walkers in tighter spaces to guide. Lots more distractions & people cheering as well. Staying focused is absolutely key & we were absolutely delighted for the support! The pace is also more erratic; I'm monitoring Kerry very closely as I sense his BGs are way off & the stomach issues are only a part of it. He doesn't want any liquids but I tell him we are stopping soon within 1mile (15mins) to check his BGs & everyone is taking a break for safety/medical. Mile 5 impromptu Stop somewhere at OrangeTheory Desk: Kerry BG= 335 finally hydrates & Insulin shot ; Chewey BG= 119 slowly falling & snacks on gummies ; Crosby not Diabetic but takes water! Thanks Yuly & Erika for stopping chatting, snapping photos & checking on us!

Miles 6-9 toward City Park; more jog, walk & Kerry prays to Ralph; hurls..... this has now become the Stroll & Hurl Half Marathon. Crosby & Me turn away & don't look at the delightful mess. For the next few miles; Achilles Colorado is in a semi-pack with in minutes of each other on the course. Go Achilles. Small in numbers, Mighty in Force, Full of Inspiration! Yes, we torture each other with "Where is this Supposed Turnaround" & serenade each other singing "Crosby, Crosby, bake-ed tater.. & I tell Kerry the turnaround is an illusion, haha.

Miles 10-Finish: Kerry is tiring but his BG's have somewhat stabalized & jogging/walking more steady after the Stroll & Hurl at Mile 8/9. However; we are cutting it too close to the 4 hour course limit in case a medical emergency or something happens. Now our goal shifts to finishing steady & strong within the Time. We bang together a few 13:00 miles & November Project / Colfax Marathon Ambassador Troy C greets ' high 5's us on the way towards the end. The Capitol is in sight. We slow our pace down Sherman Street towards Colfax pass The Capitol towards yells of Kerry, Crosby, Chewey & minutes later we all experienced moments never to be recaptured or forgotten at The 2018 Rock 'n'Roll Half Marathon- Denver.

I seldom look backwards but this time turned around looked at the finish line & realized that for 13.3+ miles not a single fall, trip, fatal mistake & longest distance ever guided for me & Crosby's 2nd Half Marathon. There was a water spill that's about it- mistake wise. It signaled the closing of one chapter & couldn't help but shed a tear never take running, sight or life for granted. We grabbed some post-race snacks freebies (bananas= 30g carbs, water, crackers, power crunch bar minis= 2g carbs) & checked Kerry's Blood Sugars. He was at 273 & took 4u Humalog. Thanks! Fellow Achilles Denver! Denise for hanging around & checking on us. We went home shortly & skipped the post race festivities as Kerry wasn't feeling it & his BGs needed to recover. Few hours later, I checked on him & he was below 160. Running brought us together, Diabetes united us; we continue to defy, mystify & rise through the odds on this very day! It's 24/7 & Awareness continues off the course!

Thanks RNR Denver, Community, Volunteers, Staff; Law Enforcement; First Responders & All for Love, Support on behalf of Kerry, Crosby & D-Unit!

------------------
*Kerry utilizes a Prodigy Glucose Talking Test Meter to check his Blood Sugars daily &; injects insulin with Humalog &; Lantus Pens measures dosage by listening to the number of clicks each click is a 0.5 unit. On race day; these duties; were done/monitored by me. For Blood Sugar checks; we utilized my Abbott Free Style Lite Meter. Crosby lives with Kerry & is there 24/7 Guide Dog! This was my longest distance race ever guided & is not the norm for me- Guide Distance wise. Only guide with what you are comfortable with; it takes lots of training, experience, watching & guidance to be a Guide. Being a Diabetic Guide isn't easy; as you must also take your own safety, health into consideration & others as well! If you're able to; it's a great way to help; be an asset to The community utilizing your conditions!

* Achilles International:  http://achillesinternational.org/
* Achilles International- Denver meets at Wash Park Monday 6pm
* Achilles International- Pike Peak https://www.facebook.com/achillespikespeak
* View more of my posts / photos on Instagram: cheweylam 
 
                                               Well, Crosby- why oh why did you move?

Before the Turnaround; Post- Stroll n' Hurl!

No comments:

Post a Comment