Wednesday, December 12, 2018

Greatest Gift

I blurted out "no more new meds, trials; I want answers; a cure." during my
 first November medical field tests. It was too late to take back my words.
Confused, lost: not angry but literally trying to stand up for my next test
from the shock of being told basically "It's irreversible" Neuropathy, Vision
Blindness. Was my 17+years of Diabetes finally taking its toll? What about
various blood & Auto-Immune Disorders, Anemia, Migraines, Vertigo,
13+ years of Pancreatic Cancer and being brought back to life (3) times to
be that I could be able to feel, touch or see better from here on out?

A series of field tests that included vision, vibration and sound were
conducted. I did so poorly this visit compared to last set of field tests just
three months earlier. Today's tests took much longer than usual and were
repeated numerous times to ensure accuracy. I was even in different
environments and tried to guess at the vibrations test yet still failed.
They asked if I had felt when it had ended and I guessed so wrong
multiple times. Humbling; I cried, "I can't feel anything." This really tests
your lower extremities, limbs and hips. This brings back past trauma and
is one of the reasons I write this for all including Chronic Illness Warriors!

The neurologists, nurse left the room to give me time to recover. Needless
to say no new experimental meds or procedures since that November visit.
The day was a blur until run club that night. Gliding the trail helped to
temporarily ease the pain; a sign of November to come. Much of the month
was a rudimentary routine: smile, wave, hi, I'm okay, yup, mmmhmm, I felt
lost. I left Colorado. Scrapped my plans for a 50 mile race in New Mexico.
Had meetings lined up. The lodging, airfare all booked. My mindset and
body not right and that's dangerous for endurance running. I've learned
that from experience and maturity. To raise awareness you have to be
and live awareness.

Went to California and spent family time. Explored future health options
there. Obviously pros and cons; it remains to be seen. Going nowhere at
the moment. Wildfires happened. 100+ consecutive weeks race streak
snapped. Ran a few races. Met awesome people. Uber was my favorite
friend. Lots of things that happened beyond my control. Tried to keep life
simple. Be grateful. Keep it simple! Did my best to re-focus! I think you
get the point. Made it through November without any big regretful life
decisions. On Nov 30, 11:25 PM I signed up for 24 Hours Race to raise
awareness and funds for several organizations. No regrets, it will push my
limits, test my endurance, body and impact many!

It's not easy to be invisibly ill and yes there are more terminal conditions
than Diabetes, Migraines, Anemia and surviving Pancreatic Cancer.
Let's remember to be kind and empower each other; to learn from our
experiences. Does one fully recover from seeing multiple people die in
front of them on separate occasions? Does one recover from pulling
plug on life support? Does one lose part of soul or emotions when
revived back to life? Trauma & diagnosis is different for each
individual and medical care isn't a one size fits for all conditions.

For a world so modern; many still have to hide their illnesses and
conditions in cultures facing the wrath of shame. I for the longest
was a part of that and to this day still am. Technology evolving and
yet Pancreatic Cancer, numerous other cancers and illnesses so
deadly with very little research advancements. To advance; we must
be willing to experiment and go outside the proverbial boundaries yet
it always comes down to money, status, and greed. Do you think
bacteria, illness follows rules or discriminate? Countless numbers
are told to sacrifice for the greater good of science. Yes, I'm here
to share because I've been through trials. I was told not to ever do
trials or experiments by family. I can proudly say that I'm a part of
numerous products that are on the pharmaceutical / prescription
market.

Bottom line is make your decision an informed one and be able to
stand up for yourself but be willing to live with the consequences/
It will not always be gravy. I'm living developing side effects now.
That's why this Awareness Journey hits home; it's everyday life!
When I wake up, there's still not a cure and yet same predictable
tactics! It's the same reality for so many of our fellow friends and
family. That's why I continue to share, document, raise awareness
this journey since Day 1 for all with random from all. It's so
unconventional; It's inconceivable! #RunCheweyRun started with
1 run barely able to 0.5 miles / race morphed into 2, then just grew!
Now 2 Yrs Later and 300+Races on the verge of 24 Hour Endurance
Race, Awareness on and off the course!

On Dec 29, 2018; I'm running at Across the Years Race in Phoenix,
AZ raising awareness/funds for Diabetes (JDRF / BeyondTypeOne)
Pancreatic Cancer (PanCan), Achilles International and Migraine
Organizations; links at bottom of this post. This is projected to be my
131st race of 2018 and probably my last 100+ races year for medical
reasons. I'm choosing the above organizations because they are all
medical conditions that affect me and I advocate for in the
community. For all not at the line and not present with us; gone but
never forgotten! Here's to inspiring the future Trailblazers,
Diabadasses, Movers, Purple Striders, Achilles Wolfpack!

For 24 hours, I'll take with me 12,000 miles from 2+years of running
spanning 27 months 300+ races from front to back, life memories and
channel it to pace myself. It's more than just the numbers, awards or
accolades. That's just evidence and glitter for others. It's the preparation,
sacrifice on all levels, to keep showing up for fellow community
members, be a voice, representative, inspiring those not seen and yet to
be seen. I'm going to use the pain; trauma all of it! The few I've told
have said I'm crazy; damn insane and family have said the same. I'm
fueled by awareness, dedication and effort to represent all communities
(Diabetes, Migraines, Pancreatic Cancer, Asian American) to show
that your conditions shouldn't limit or stop you that may slow
you but keep going!

This journey could've stopped ended long time ago and yet continues.
It's the epitome of chronic health illnesses that can be so isolating
and solitary. You do whatever it takes; you don't view it as being
strong. There's no option to quit; though it will try to beat you down.
November winded down and it dawned on me about how walking
for health became running grew into awareness morphed into
50 miles became 24 hour endurance race for awareness:

"You don't find life, choose life, the path, or always how to get to a
destination or attempt to find the lessons. The lessons fond you.
Maybe my third lifeline is to share our experiences and give all
awareness through what senses I'm able to utilize in this journey
perhaps that is the greatest gift."

Please if you have any contacts, networks, connections; let's make
an impact for all based on mileage / hours of running, walking that
I pile up on Dec 29. My Safety, Health and Awareness are first
priority! Planning on 60 Miles and doing my best to go full 24 Hrs!
Could be more or less miles; time will tell. There will be link to
track and monitor all participants : I'm registered:
Arapaiva Running / Acrosstheyears.com ; contact me via social
media, listed below my fundraising sites (please choose 1 or all):
your employer sometimes may match your contribution!

** JDRF Rocky Mtn / JDRF : www2.jdrf.org/goto/runcheweyrun
** PanCAN: http://support.pancan.org/goto/runcheweyrun
** Achilles: https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign/runcheweyrun
** AMFMigraine: Every Mile run; I will donate $1 to AMF! If you like
     to match; contact me!
---------
* FB Fan / Awareness Page: runcheweyrun
* Instagram: cheweylam
* Twitter: cheweylam

View my Reg Link: https://ultrasignup.com/entrants_event.aspx?did=56305




118th Race'18- Cape Cod Marathon (Mile 20)  / Photo: Meghan S. as Guide. 






























3 comments:

  1. With tears in my eyes, I must say Thank You and I am so lucky to have met you at the Purple Stride for Pancreatic Cancer. Will pray for you as you maneuver your journey. No doubt that you will always continue to inspire everyone around you. THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad to have met you as well! 💜 I've now updated the post for all with links for others to view. Keep Hope Alive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello everyone I'm here to testify and enlighten you on how you can be cure from the disease/virus known as DIABETES as the FDA described that it cannot be cured or there is no cure for it, not knowing that herbal treatment is highly recommended for the treatment and cure for Diabetes its easy and it has no side effect, Doctor James herbal center it's A1 and a powerful strong  pure natural remedy that can be used in the prevention and elimination of diabetes totally. However, the single most important aspect of a diabetes control plan is adopting a wholesome lifestyle Inner Peace, Nutritious and Healthy Diet, and Regular Physical Exercise. A state of inner peace and self-contentment is essential to enjoying good physical health and overall well-being  are you interested in curing Diabetes now, I am a living testimony of how Dr James herbal medicine cured me with natural herbs which I bought from him. You can cure your Herpes virus,Cancer,Hiv/Aids, Hepatitis A/B, Gonorrhea, Fibroids ,Infertility ,Epilepsy, Syphilis, Chronic infection, Copd, ,Std, Hpv, Backache,arthritis etc.........
    contact Email
    drjamesherbalmix@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete