Thursday, August 23, 2018

Go Achilles


This summer on Monday nights 6pm at Wash (Washington) Park in Denver, CO; I've had the pleasure of running / learning to guide blind, visually-impaired runners & runners of all types disabilities through the Achilles International- Denver Chapter. Guides are utilized to assist runner/participant(s) that may need assistance; visual; disability; etc.  My good friend Kerry; Blind Type 1 Diabetic Runner whom I've run alot recently with in preparation for ;.........

The Rock N Roll Half Marathon- Denver in October. I will be one of Kerry's guides. Each week we grow more & more comfortable with each other. Although we've known each other for nearly 3 years; we've never run a race together side by side but have been in the same races. Kerry is a legend of sorts in the Denver circles. Running despite the odds, Diabetes & though he's blind; he strides on! He runs with Crosby "guide dog" & super love-able! I feel that my experiences as a Type 1 Diabetic & other medical conditions enhance my ability & be an asset to being a guide for other runners. It maybe challenging at times. I'll just have to be that more aware, vigilant, honest of what I'm able to handle. All part of communication & awareness process.

I was inspired by my guide Meghan (unknown by her) at the time to further my running experience; journey; awareness for Diabetes; Migraine Community(s) following my 2018 San Francisco Marathon running experience (my 7th Marathon & 96 races so far this year). When that article / write-up is published ; link to website will be posted. 

This weekend I volunteered & was assigned my 1st race guide experience at a local 5k! Here goes & looking forward to new experience to learn! Conditions shouldn't stop you; they may slow you; may take more time to prepare but you still can help others. Are all days sunshine & roses? No! Use your experiences to guide others & your uniqueness does shine!
 -----------------
From AchillesInternational.org website "The mission of Achilles International is to empower people with all types of disabilities to participate in mainstream running events in order to promote personal achievement." More info on Achilles Int'l Chapters AchillesInternational.org for membership info, guides / volunteers, etc.

*Achilles International- Denver meets at Wash Park Monday 6pm
*Achilles International- Pike Peak https://www.facebook.com/achillespikespeak
*Achilles International- Boulder

View more of my posts / photos on Instagram: cheweylam

 8/20/18 Group Photo
                                      8/20/18 Run Shot Selfie w/ Paul, Kerry; Josh (In-Motion)

                               8/13/18 Run Shot Selfie W/ Benny; Morgan (In-Motion)

No comments:

Post a Comment