Thursday, May 17, 2018

Journey to 26.2 (Part 1)

Many strides, kilometres, thoughts pass in the initial starting stages of a 26.2. What is a 26.2? For those not familiar with running jargon; 26.2 is short for Marathon. Roughly 26.2 Miles, 42.2 Kilometres. 1 Year Ago; The 2017 Colfax Marathon was my 26.2 debut. I had no time to think of what to expect or pre-26.2 jitters as I was constantly in running / life mode.  For most runners; participants; this is not new. Add on the layers of being a Type 1 Diabetic & numerous other conditions anemia, hemophilia, vertigo & my time was in a literal vacuum. I had no time to think about it; I’m constantly preparing the body for conditions.


So this is where the journey to 26.2 begins;.........

 the conditions, proverbial cards that life has dealt to me. In September 2016; I began running to ease my Migraines & to improve my Diabetes A1C. I needed to get unstuck & find some way to shake my health conditions as I was clearly in a downward spiral. Along the Way; The Running version of “Moneyball” is occuring; Lord of The Rings Trilogy is forming; Star Wars Saga is developing; only this in real life & it’s occurring in Denver; Colfax Marathon; & Race Courses everywhere!


In 8 months, I went from my 1st race Broncos 7k to Colfax Marathon with JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation). Along the way; many trials & errors learning what to do & what not to do with my blood sugars, migraines, Vertigo, Anemia How does speed spike my sugars? What works on Blood Transfusion Days? How little rest can I get by after work before race? It wasn’t all roses. Many in the running community can attest to that & witnessed first hand my triumphs & disasters. Thanks! For Your Help! Remember; whether it’s your first race, 26.2, seasoned veteran; you control your pace & remember why you run! Pace & Lower Heart Rate is key! The marathon is a journey in itself; you can’t conquer it in the first few miles; but it can conquer you!


My first 26.2 (49th race in 2017) is an experience I will never forget & I had no idea it would start / transform “RunCheweyRun” Movement for Diabetes / Migraines Awareness; nearly 200 Races; Year Later; 1 Ultra & 6 Marathons Later: 2018 Colfax Marathon as a 26.2er & Ambassador. My next post Journey Beyond 26.2 (Part 2)
------------
I end the post with this thought. If it’s your first ever Marathon; Remember to let your emotions pour; it’s okay! Do whatever you need to & finish! Remember why your run! It’s a 26.2 Feat; that is special! Regardless of the distance; it’s your race! You will never run that race again! You won’t be able to! Well, Not that exact same one at least! “I run for D-Community(s); I run for All! - 200 in 2018” that is etched in my mind all the time at every race & every stride & daily! Go do your journey!

My 1st 26.2 Medal!

No comments:

Post a Comment