Saturday, March 5, 2016

The 150K Tilt of Poker & Life: Part 2- The Blackhole

5 hands into this cash game & 5 hands I played-I lost. (Pocket 9s; AK; AJx; Pocket 2s; Pocket Kings) The stakes & HANDS didn't matter; Full-on tilt engulfed me. I didn't even remember buying in. Poker was imitating life & I was ready to let it rip. Life can sometimes smack you down over & over. If you aren't careful; being smacked & smacking is all you will know. I asked the floor person for chips & was told you already bought in; Chewey but there is a seat at 1/2!. I looked down at my once big stack to see a few dribbles remaining.

It was after looking at my chips again that I realized I wasn't sitting at a 1/2 No Limit game. What the hell was I doing sitting at a 2/4 Limit Hold'em game. This was my first to sign to get up & leave but I stayed. I bought more chips; a puny $60; that's it. Playing this night was similar to being water tortured (Yes; I've experienced it!); never knowing if this is your last gasp. For the next 30 minutes; I called pre-flop & bailed after the flop. The voices & people around me were filtered & no longer mattered. Fun was not even in the equation; all I was doing was flinging chips & cards with nothing returning. Full on Rage & Tilt ensued with numerous shots of Jack.

If this is the part that you are looking for the hero to emerge victorious with racks full of chips headed to the club to pop bottles then you are going to be highly disappointed. Somehow I managed to play for 2 more hours before taking a restroom break. It was this break that I realized; poker is not even poker tonight. In the game of life & poker; you're the life of the game. This night I clearly wasn't the life of this game; I was the anchor negatively impacting the table with my steely gaze & negative vibes. It is during the dark times or nonchalant moments that my greatest "Light-Bulb" thoughts emerge. My restroom pee break lasted for nearly 5 minutes. How much had I drank? Upon my return to the table; the cocktail waitress had already placed my shot of "Jack" in the cup holder. I reached for a few chips to tip & the waitress politely said to me "Honey; you're good for the night! Thank You for making my night & you are the most polite drinker ever!'

How much did I tip? The OMG moment hit me & I flashed a smirk asking her; how much? A $100 & she flashed me the $100 bill that I didn't remember tipping. Yes; it was my $100; I checked the serial number. Even when I'm angry; I'm polite. On a bustling Saturday night in Sin City & I'm in the "Flamingo" black-hole of all places (I never win here) tilting/raging at a 2/4 Limit game. How much money had I lost if I didn't remember what I tipped. I always keep track of what I have on me & what is gambled; Thank Goodness for old habits & discipline- my lifeblood of poker & gambling.

So after off & on friendly banter with the waitress over the course of the next 30 minutes; my rage dissipated. My demeanor changed & I was becoming the Zen Chewey of old: confident; engaging; & ensuing a "Life of the party" atmosphere at the table. No; it was not love at first sight with the cocktail waitress. However; we remain in contact for my next tilt-fest; lol. My outward appearance remained the same; my table image was loose. It was time to right the ship:
-I raised with 4,5 diamonds from the button position. 8 callers! Pre-flop & there was already a $36 pot. -Flop: A,2,3x- 2diamonds (2,3)board; I flopped a straight & a redraw for open ended straight flush! It was 4 bet to me with 4 callers & I called. ($72 in the pot).
-Turn: The same 4 players (2 bets) bet with a "9" one board. I call. ($112 pot)
-River: "Q' appears. Same 4 players; (4 bet to me) I call ; UTG 5 bets; I capped the betting limits with my wheel-straight. All 4 players call; ($232 pot) I win the pot against set of 9's, UTG set of Qs.

My last 30 minutes at the table I won many small pots & decided to leave to enjoy the Vegas night. Who am I kidding? I ended up going to the sports book in typical degenerate fashion to place bets on Super Bowl props. Pictured is the stack after a night of being down nearly $400. Not including the $100 tip but it was a good life lesson reminder for me "Even in Anger; be polite- control what you can control!".



Until next time! Keep those bets coming!
C

No comments:

Post a Comment