Sunday, January 31, 2016

The 150K Tilt of Poker & Life: Part 1- The Fester

Go 2 for 3 on your tournament All-In's & sit below your stacking stack of 5k with 1.3k; How does it feel? Not good. 1 of the 2 All-In wins; you chop. How does that feel? Urgggh. How about All-In on the flop with pocket Jacks vs A-6 off on a board of Q,Q,3,K.  I know I'm ahead but this is Texas Hold'em; there is one more card to come. Before the last card is dealt; I'm prepared for the worst regardless of what I hold & the magical "King" appears. My Jacks are counterfeited & I lose to the A-6x. Needless to say; I didn't cash in this particular tournament but managed to survive with the shortest stack far longer than most players.

If you let it; your job/profession can negatively impact your life.


The above All-In moments from a tournament can make you go for a bottle of TUMS. Everyone wants to play but few can stomach the ride of variance.  On a recent trip to Las Vegas; I entered into a 150K guarantee Hold'em Invitational that was a freeroll the day after I went 2 for 3 on my all-ins. Let's just say this was a prelude of what was to come. Not only did I manage to miss my original starting flight (no fault of my own-tournament staff gave me wrong info) but I also got moved 2x's & assigned (2) different seating assignments before finally playing. Most people would've given up as I basically wasted the equivalent of a day because of other people's mistakes. This alone would make most of you to do a life- tilt & just go ballistic at the next human you encounter.

So I managed to win a total of (3) hands in this event & still outlast 70% of the field. Didn't finish in the money & yet I remained pleasant the entire time. When I left the tournament area; I was literally ready to choke someone. With a pocket full of money & angry energy; I was ready to let loose. My once steadfast demeanor was out the window & ready to blast with this "tilt" that had been festering inside me for over 24 hours.

Without hesitation; my body instinctively droned towards the nearest poker room from the tournament area; The Flamingo. I clearly wasn't thinking. Like a possessed being; I put my name on any poker available waiting list . The hurry up & wait game; I had been doing that for the last 24 hours. What's another hurry & wait to me? The rage inside me swelled like the Sith from Star Wars; my steely gaze locked in searching for my next table.

5 hands into this cash game & 5 hands I played-I lost. The stakes didn't matter; Full-on tilt had engulfed me. I don't even remember buying in. Poker was imitating life & I was ready to let it rip. Life can sometimes smack you down over & over. If you aren't careful; being smacked & smacking is all you will know. Pictured below: Is this what tilt looks like in one's mind?
(Actually the front entrance to the 150K Event.)
Next time; The 150K Tilt of Poker & Life: Part 2- The Blackhole.

View more pics via my Instagram account: instagram.com/cheweylam

No comments:

Post a Comment